Field Service Manager
San Bernardino, CA - Direct Hire - Job ID #517
Summary: (Brief, concise statement of expected results: the reason the position exists):
The focus of the Technical Field Service Manager is to analyze, define, implement, and manage the
technical service process and procedures, with the aim of increasing customer satisfaction. The
Technical Field Service Manager is also responsible for the revenue generation and negotiation
processes with customers for the implementation of service, including customer training and spare
The Technical Field Service Manager leads a team of technical support specialists responsible for
driving customer loyalty and ensuring that our customers are satisfied and are realizing measurable
value from our products and services.
The Technical Field Service Manager communicates with all the departments involved and acts as the
key liaison with the company Packaging Business Units to coordinate and ensure packaging materials
are successfully integrated with all machinery activities to support and drive company System Sales.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business or Technical discipline
• 5 + years’ experience within a packaging or packaging machinery manufacturer is
• Proven track record of dynamic leadership with previous team management experience
in a customer-facing organization is required.
• Experience with customer relationship management best practice including software,
automation, metrics, and workflows.
• Proven capability to collaborate with all levels of the organization.
• Demonstrated ability to be highly organized, creative, motivated, self-starter,
strong problem solver with excellent written and oral communications and presentation skills.
• Demonstrated strong negotiation skills.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize, multi-task, and perform effectively under
• Demonstrated project management skills that assured project outcomes are achieved on
time and on budget.
• Willingness to accommodate 10 – 30% to travel
• Experience leading teams in technical support of food packaging machinery,
• Experience in field service focusing on mechanical aptitude, electronics,
pneumatics, and PLC controls.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: (These are things the candidate should possess before being
hired, i.e., computer skills)
• Skilled in managing, leading, coaching, training and developing a customer-facing
• Ability to partner with the customer to establish deployment objectives and success
criteria and help them develop a plan to achieve those objectives
• Ability to relate to customers with varying levels of technical skills and
• Ability to work in a fast-paced cross-functional organization and balance priorities
• Advanced writing skills with a technical writing background
• Highly skilled in reading blueprints, engineering drawings, and electrical
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
• Good data analysis skills to identify trends in serrvice and part sales activities
• Must be knowledgeable of basic OSHA workplace safety standards which include but are
not limited to PPE, ladder safety, lockout tag out, electrical tool safety, etc.
• Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will
require patience, tact, and diplomacy, collect accurate information and solve customer concerns
• Knowledgeable of statistical process control (SPC)
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office programs include WORD, Excel, Power Point and
• Basic understanding of the concepts of Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma
Duties and Responsibilities: (List the essential functions of the position, i.e., what incumbent is
required to do, not how it is done)
• Strategic leader for a team of technical field service specialists establishing team
direction, schedules, and key objectives in support of customer installs, remote and field support
and training on company machines
• Develop processes, procedures and documentation for the service organization
• Drive service and parts revenue and develop metrics to measure key performance
indicators internally and externally with customers
• Develop a comprehensive understanding of the customer’s industry business challenges
and objectives to address their needs
• Serve as a customer advocate in driving industry best practices and the evolution of
product and platform functionality, training and support services integral to the customer's
• Develop and maintain long-term relationships with stakeholders by networking between
customers and internal resources
• Key liaison between WLI operations, engineering, accounting and sales team and the
• Communicate technical updates (i.e. service bulletins) to customers and advocate for
• Responsible for preparing and providing accurate service quotations, available
service schedules to the customers, and creating accurate and timely service expenses for invoicing
• Partners with Engineering in a Concurrent Engineering culture in new product
development and support of existing machines in the field,
• Responsible for coordinating with Sales and the customer to ensure that adequate
products and packaging materials are available for the Factory Acceptance Test (FAT)
• Ensures the machine is ready for customer Factory Acceptance Test (FAT), performs
the FAT with the customer and provides and follows up promptly on post FAT action items
• Responsible for managing the Pilot Plant operations and ensuring a safe, productive
• Ensures all service personnel follow company GMP’s (Good Manufacturing Practices),
sanitation, prerequisite programs, chemical control, and food safety plans, WLI policies and
• Analyze service and part sales trends and collaborate with other departments to
implement programs to capture and/or recapture service and part sales revenue
• Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary by supervisor